Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow

Things have only just melted from the bout of ice a few days ago, and weve had our 3rd wintry blast. We got about 2.5 in. (much less than the 8 that was expected)--

The snow fell Friday night and Sat., but the roads were fairly clear this morning. It was 12 degrees when I woke and 20 when I arrived at the glades near noon. It was gorgeous!!! Because it was a dry snow and had not been above freezing since it had fallen, the glades glittered with the tiny flakes and crystals. The grasses were coated and the bluffs held a display of ice sickles.
At the top of trail, just before I entered onto the glade I found fresh tracks. They were of a bobcat and I followed them around the bend to catch a glimpse of the little guy. I only saw his butt end, but I know it was a bobcat. I tried to catch up with him, but the rocks were slippery and by the time I rounded the next corner he had disappeared. I continued over the first and second glades and doubled back to crawl down the stream bed that divided the two. When I got below I found myself looking away from the shadows and did not find too many photos. . that is, until I got past the glades and into the forest and stream below. I found, on the hill a few strange prints that ascended a large sycamore seemingly without any problem. they were in pairs and about 8 inches from each other-- long and skinny like a woodpecker?
I snapped the last of my pictures before returning to the truck.
It was beautiful and very cool to see all of the nights activities in the tracks that were left behind. The shadows and silhouettes were in perfect contrast with the snow and ice and I only had trouble making a decent light measurement for an exposure.

I strongly suggest that you get out this winter season in the snow or ice, as I have done. If the roads are not too dangerous it will be well worth the beauty that you will behold in the sun. Both days that I have gone out, it was the first sun that we'd seen since the precip and the ice was gone in the matter of hours, so I suggest that you keep an eye on the forecast after the next storm and get out before it all melts. another suggestion that I would stress would be to start with an area that you know well- for safety and for the photo opportunities (take backways as to not ruin a scene with footprints, and go into the sun, to take advantage of the shadows and contrast)
This has been the first winter in KC that I have been able to get out into our natural areas- Ive been in school and without a vehicle. Its a whole new experience and one that is just as beautiful, if not more so than any other season. In my opinion, this winter has been significantly better to explore our city and county properties than any other time Ive ever seen them!!!! Nothing will ever beat being on the glade, or better- a prairie- in a major thunderstorm, but this comes damn close !!!

THIS GUY WAS ON THE FEEDER EARLY THIS MORN.- PURPLE FINCH??

No comments: