Wednesday, December 12, 2007

ICE storm

multiflora rose is a beautiful exotic that is sometimes invasive and dangerous in our natural areas

Over the past few days weve had about a third of an inch of ice. North, south and west of us all got it much worse with up to 1.5in .
Though yesterday was the majority of the precipitation, most of it did not freeze and roads improved from monday. I got the opportunity to get out of the house today and visited a couple areas close to the house.
Today it was cloudy and dark, windless and cold. Every step you take is announced by a shattering explosion of the thin sheet of ice that coats everything. In many places air has been trapped under the ice sheet by the grass and it only enhances the noise.

BLUE RIVER CORRIDOR> MINOR PARK


The river was very high and the surface was smooth and dark. The reflections of the surrounding ice and woods were perfect.
Early in our walk we could hear a bared owl calling very near. I asked my mother- half jokingly- to call it in. She gave one nasty scream that could scare anything away. A few minutes later the small owl flew over the river only about twenty feet to our right. It saw us and flew past us to land on a branch back down the trail. I scurried down to the river to take a last picture before I changed my lenses to shoot the owl. When I returned with my telephoto lens, the owl was gone.
I changed lenses again and continued down the trail with a tripod. I stopped frequently to shoot an ice cicle or a river scene. I was kinda disappointed by the lack of ice on the vegitation. It seemed that the higher out of the river valley we got, the more ice coated the trees and dead plants.

SWOPE PARK> SHELTER HOUSE 7


With this, we decided to find some higher terrain and continued to swope park. I did not expect to access the 'hill'- rocky point glades, but there was little ice in all parking lots in the area. We stopped by the shelter and I got out to snap a few pics. Every foot step seemed louder than the last and parts of the area were very slippery. The area was empty and silent with the exception of a passing car or the ice dropping from the tree.

No comments: