Sunday, January 25, 2009

KansasCity's own!

Robert Gaines and Linda Williams, two of our city's most talented "nature-photographers," have been kind enough to share their artwork as well as their passions for the outdoors and the camera with anyone who may have expressed interest. Better yet, the Master Naturalists have taken the time and effort to facilitate the process by creating their personalized websites.
Though Robert's blog is not yet finished, it already contains a list of links to share some of his excellent websites. His photos and comments tell of his experiences in places like the Flint Hills, the Buffalo River and Big Bend Nat'l Park in Texas. Visit Linda's website for a handful of her nicest galleries or her Blog for all sorts of exciting local bird sightings (Linda had the opportunity to observe a Snowy Owl on Smithville Lake not too long ago!!!)
Please take a moment to check out the works of these outstanding naturalists- you will not be disappointed!
Linda Williams Photography or see HERE for Linda's Exciting blog!



As for me- I'm locked up in school for now. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I dusted off my Ancient MinoltaSRT. I bought a few rolls of Ilford100 and hit the streets with a 35mm camera for the first time in almost two years!
A long evening walk downtown and 24 exposures later, I found the antique to be very worthy of my hobby! Maybe it is that it is different or that I just have to be creative with the limited geometric subject matter- Shooting in the city and on campus is a bit more difficult than finding exciting photographs in the woods. I think I enjoy the old thing more than the digital camera; though it does cost about 50 cents per photo to have them developed- Almost 90 cents if you want small prints!

( I seem to have developed the nasty habit of disregarding the number of digital photos I take..)

Taking a photo with the heavy metal box, however, is a long, complex process of evaluations and decisions compared to the Point-Click-Pray method I shoot too many of the digital photographs with. Manual Apertures and Shutter Speeds must be quickly determined and manipulated while focus is had for an ever-changing world of fascinating subjects....Perhaps it is my romantic side coming out, or simply an intense appreciation for a dying tradition and the end of the era of honest photography. These photographs require effort and artistry and are so much more valuable when complete. I'd say its a bit like digging crystals; A quality stone which is bought is worthless compared to one that you put so much work into retrieving- like a special relationship is made with the thing by addressing it on such a personal level.
I spent almost ten minutes preparing for the Western Auto shot below, and I find it to be one of my favorites of my home town.
Anyway..
I cant wait to share photo's of Maryville with you! ...I am working on my second roll of film on this cold little town and the Missouri Northwest Campus, but there is nobody within ~100 miles who is able to develop the film. Lots of exciting spots around, though a very noticeable lack of public wild areas. - I'll get photos up soon! Enjoy!



1 comment:

Timothy said...

Dude --

Highlight the artist's name, go to the link icon and paste the link-- then press ENTER.

Then the artist's name is highlighted and you don't have to put the whole link on the page.

Good luck with your writing and photo life.

Keep it coming.


Best fishes,

Timothy