Friday, July 24, 2009

tarryall creek WONDERS


With Antero under my belt, Ruby Mountain trespassed and St Elmo's gold mines collected of all of their beautiful gems, I turned north to the wonderful foothills of Tarryall. Though many adventures have been had since I last stayed in the Spruce Grove Campground, it was only a few more than 24-hours ago that I left it. The drive would take me only 65-miles up highways 285 and 24- through familiar places like the city of Buena Vista and vast South Park.
Through Buena Vista the drive was simple and easy- it was just about on the north end of town that the long day caught up to me; I began to space out with the dimming day. My thoughts wandered through Shadowcliff and many of my recent western adventures- mountains and flowers and rocks... As the sun set- I realized the drama as I paralleled Antero Resevior- I found myself in a huge basin and between a pair of towering storm clouds. The northerly one, which laid also slightly west of me- was the most colourful. It was nearly comparable to the brilliant thunderstorms I encountered on Day One regarding the deep reds, oranges and blues and not lightning or the dark bands of precip. The clouds that were south of me were a lighter orange- the storm was further from me and almost cream-colored. This southerly one appeared larger and more violent- I spotted several flashes underneath it- more than I would expect to see considering the high amount of light in those beginning stages of sunset.
I let on the brakes and steered into the flat grassy area between the pavement and a rusty old fence. The car bounced a few times and I rolled to a slow stop- It took me only seconds to gather the camera and hop onto the hood for a few nice photos.
The battery-symbol on the camera pulsed red and low -something to do with the 400+ photos I had taken since the nice campground hostess had charged it in her RV two nights ago in Spruce Grove.
The last bit of light settled as I drove through Hartsel. ... TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: