Saturday, August 23, 2008

Big Shadow mnt.

The entirety of Shadow Mountain sits in plain site over the town and lake from Shadowcliff. It sure does not seem as large or tall as when you are able to peer over it's summit.
The hike is an easy 10mi. r/t from the trailhead. There are points at which switchbacks are necessary due to the harsh topography, but none last too long. Jan and I enjoyed raspberries from the lake to the firetower at the top!
A big bull moose watched us for a few minutes from the lake, and deer were numerous throughout the hike. Once we started the ascent, we had the mountain to ourselves. There was a warm, light breeze and the occasional fluffy cumulus would wander across the sun.
I ran out of water just before we hit the fire tower. The abrupt 360 that surprised me above the trees was both frightening and inspiring. A swarm of drone ants could not distract me from photographing the huge view from the top of the trees. It surely seemed as though we may have been halfway between the lakes and the cloud ceiling. Jan spaced off when he relaxed facing the park area. I found the aerial view of the east inlet to be the highlight.
I got a kick out of identifying the meadows, streams and peaks along my favorite trail.. It was like looking at a topo map!
The air turned still, though it was not quiet. The nasty sound of traffic and a train ripped through the canopy. When we got down below the ole' hitchin post, all of that noise disappeared and we were in the wilds again. I tried photographing the ancient stone fire tower, but all attempts proved overexposed.
I spotted a handful of mushrooms on the leisurely way down. It was not until I sat hat I noticed the tightening/burning sensation on my shins and the top of my ass, but I still feel pretty good!

No comments: