Saturday, January 19, 2008

Blue river

I got an itch to make it outside when the snow and clouds gave way to the sun yesterday evening. The roads were still a bit icey from the week's snow, but Ive never had too much trouble driving in ice. Jerry smith sounded nice with the clouds as fluffy as they were, but I changed my mind pretty quickly upon arrival; I couldnt get but ten or twenty feet up the entrance road! There were tire tracks in the snow that appeared to have no problem facing the hill, but my little truck, even with all the sandbags would spin out at the same point every time I tried. I gave up, and put it into reverse- backed up as slow as I could in hopes of avoiding the metal gate posts and the larg rocks that edge the entrance. WELL THAT DIDNT WORK!
I was driving home and spotted my old water quality monitoring site just north of 139th on holmes. I parked a made my way down to the bank of the blue river. It was extremely cold- about 16 degrees- and I found many brilliant ice 'sculptures' on the edge of the river.The till water would freeze, then be swept away by the rizing current. several small chunks of ice rushed passed me and took the larg ripple just below me. On the leaves which had been packed into the rip-rap bank, I observed many layers of ice. The layers started about two feet up and then another at 12 inches, 8 inches, 5 inches and at two inches above the waters current level. At the two inch mark there were zillions of bubbles trapped. At this mark, also was where I found that ice was thick and polished by heat and water. There were ice cicles connecting this layer to the waters surface. Only got a few pics because I was only there about 6 min- It was still better than nothing!

No comments: