Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Jerry Smith Park


Ive discovered a bunch of photos that were taken a few weeks ago at JSmith. The folder was buried under some other files, but seems to be worth sharing. I visited the park an afternoon just a few days before I left for California. Nothing too exciting, though the Gentian was a nice surprise. The little orange and black guy in the photo was everywhere. I dont know what exactly it was.. would love to learn about it if you know!? Some wierd earth-tongue kind of fungi. The mushrooms were small and yellow, but they were more jello-y than the "earth Tongues" that I found in Colorado.
I did also find a very cool carrion beetle, Nicrophorus I think. The thing was pretty quick for a big clumsy beetle; I only got a few blurred photos. Here is him diving off of a log that i set him on.
I noticed a pile of mite-things swarming his underside. A bunch of tiny, salmon-egg coloured tick things. They especially liked the joints where his limbs came to his body.

No comments: