Tuesday, July 1, 2008

wasps

Ive looked them up- I think that these are some sort of ichneumon wasp. THey swarmed a log that I had cut about a week ago- the sam long in which i found the horntails and book scorpions. There are 6 of them out there now.

WHen I pick one up, it rubbed its abdomen on my skin- as if to sting. Its' got a sharp ovipositor, but I never felt any stinger. They are very cool! Does anyone know what it is doing when it waves it's abdomen, or folds it onto the log like that? They were fun to watch- had to get my camera out. Would love to learn more about them if your familiar w/ them !

The clip is 54 seconds.. be sure to turn the sound down before you play it- had an ac unit workin behind me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great video! They are so creepy!

MC said...

Wow. I love that little dance.