Thursday, October 25, 2007

Lone Jack CA

Though its a drive, Lone Jack Ca is one of my favorites around KC. I hunt small game and waterfowl on the area, and have always enjoyed the diversity of wildflowers I find in its fields of fescue. Though it is heavily invaded by fecue and sericea (sp) lespedeza, the area is scattered with exposed limestone, wildflowers and cacti, and all sorts of native songbirds. I have only found one bush honeysuckle on the entire area, and think that it would be worth the effort to restore!

Last month, I found a few ladies tresses orchids, an array of sunflowers and docks, and many butterflies. Today, however, I found none of this; it was cold, and there was even a light frost on the ground. I carried my shotgun, but found nothing worth killing. I flushed a few turkey and a huge covey of quail, but hesitated to kill any of that due to the fact that I was not familier with their seasons or licence requirements. Many songbird out this time- a flock of goldfinch, some chickadees, zillions of sparrows, and a few colorful vireos. The trail had been re-cut for thew first time this year. That was nice.

I did find many colorful plants and trees. They were scattered, with the exception of all of the poison ivy, like this one.

Walking through the opening woods, I found some awsome mushrooms. Many large puffballs, and one that I had never found before; the "bearded tooth"-- sounds killer! I collected a large, firm puffball... Ive never eaten a wild shroom before, but Im going to try it!

The few streambanks that travel through the area were covered with ferns and the glade and open areas with fruiting cacti - This place just needs a burn! !






Prickly Pear cactus (Above) and fern (below)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dylan your skill for photographing the intimate detail of [eg:ironweed]is sublime...I'm in awe of what you can see with that Artistic eye of yours...Continue to grow in your art and expertise...scorpionfly...only you would see the Beauty in that!!!
He mihi mahana kia koe e hoa.
Tau te rangimarie...Deb me whanau.